Saturday, April 5, 2008

On Fetal Life

In a previous post, I touched on fetal life. Let’s explore this further.
I believe that many people (and especially zealots) are much too fast to transpose scientific “indicators” into scientific “fact”.
On the topic of fetal life, science has found indicators of possible independent function in fetuses nearly to the point of conception. This is true, but, does that mean that a fetus is an independent life?
Let’s throw some common sense at it!
By my life’s experience I have found many things that “twitch” pre and post life.
Within my own body I have a kidney. Actually I have two but for today I’m just referring to the one on the… Bad Analogy!
Within my own body I have a stomach (Better). If you ask my wife she will tell you that it occupies the space above my navel and below my neck. Left, right and center! On a regular basis, my stomach will twitch. By my observations, it twitches completely independently of my wishes and control. As I hope is common, I give these twitches independent human emotions and qualities: i.e.
OH GOD! FEED ME! or
OH GOD! STOP FEEDING ME! or
OH GOD! STOP IT WITH THE DOUBLE HOT CHILI!
I have a very passionate stomach! But, is it a separate being? Nope.
At what point does a fetus have more “life” than my stomach?
I guess what I’m trying to say is this:
Although I love science, I will never lose site of the difference between fact and indication. Too many zealots will grasp any straw that supports their personal zealotry.
When they clearly record a little fetal inner voice saying,
“MOM, enough with the pickles already!”
I will go Pro Life.
My stomach twitches at pickles too.

No comments: